INTER-VARSITY CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP (IVCF), PHILIPPINES is a member of the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students (IFES), a worldwide inter-denominational evangelical movement of students which links student work in more than 150 countries. Presently, IFES has over 500,000 members throughout the world.
IVCF Philippines is . . .
The great emphasis is upon a personal faith in and a relationship to Jesus Christ. We must never allow loyalty to an organization to overshadow our loyalty to Christ Himself. The main object of the individual and of the group is fellowship with Christ, and obedience to Him in all areas of life.
We believe that the Bible is the Word of God. It is our supreme authority for all beliefs and behavior. We study it individually, discuss it in small groups, and expound it in public. We consult God’s Word in matters of doctrine, questions of ethics and even in problems of policy.
A FELLOWSHIP OF PRAYER
It was born in student prayer meetings; it will move forward only on its knees. It is not easy to engage in effective prayer, but whenever a chapter is really used of God, there is a group of students who really know the reality and power of prayer.
We believe that the Gospel will thrive in the Philippines as it takes deep root in the native soil. Thus IVCF has remained a Filipino movement — governed by a Filipino board of directors, headed by a Filipino National Director, and supported mainly by Filipino Christians — since its recognition in 1959.
We are basically a student and graduate movement. We have stood to our belief that the more effective witnesses to non- Christians in the academic and professional world are their colleagues who are Christians. IVCF’ers are missionaries in their respective spheres of influence.
A PARTNER OF THE FILIPINO CHURCH
We aim to build up God’s Church in the Philippines. We serve as a partner of the Church as we help nurture students and graduates to a lifetime of discipleship. We encourage IVCF’ers to take active part in a local church which is their long-term spiritual home.
1. BIBLICAL LIFESTYLE:
We submit to the centrality and authority of the Scriptures in all areas of life.
2. ALL OF LIFE DISCIPLESHIP:
We imitate Christ in his love and obedience to God and his servant-leadership.
3. INCARNATIONAL WITNESS:
We are God’s agents of change in the world committed to incarnating the gospel.
4. FAITHFUL STEWARDSHIP:
We manage responsibly our God-given resources to fulfill our vision and mission.
5. TRANSFORMATIONAL COMMUNITY:
We value and nurture transformational communities characterized by love, trust, and mutual respect.
We are a Christ-centered community of Filipino students and graduates engaged in extending God’s kingdom worldwide.
To disciple students and graduates for Christ in all areas of life to serve the campuses, churches and communities.
Basis of Faith
- The unity of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in the Godhead.
- The sovereignty of God in creation, revelation, redemption and final judgment.
- The divine inspiration and the entire trustworthiness of the Holy Scriptures, as originally given, and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The universal sinfulness and guilt of all men since the fall, rendering them subject to God’s wrath and condemnation.
- Redemption from the guilt, penalty, dominion and pollution of sin, solely through the sacrificial death (as our Representative and Substitute) – of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Son of God.
- The bodily resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ from the dead and His ascension to the right hand of God the Father.
- The presence and power of the Holy Spirit in the work of regeneration.
- The justification of the sinner by the grace of God through Faith alone.
- The indwelling and work of the Holy Spirit in the believer.
- The one Holy Universal Church which is the Body of Christ and to which all true believers belong.
- The expectation of the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ.